Smoking during obesity
According to official classifications, all women with Body Mass Index (BMI) between 30 and 34.9 should be considered as obese suffering from different types of obesity. It is well known that obesity is a risk factor for women health. What about smoking during obesity?
Smoking during obesity means double risk. Smoking and obesity are both risk factors that can shorten women life and decrease the quality of life, causing several diseases and illnesses. Scientists discovered that the risk of death is 3-6 times greater for obese smokers than it is for people who have never smoked and are at a normal weight.
Unfortunately about 20% obese people are smoking in United States. According to several studies, smoking during obesity can increase dramatically the risk of diseases and/or death from cancer and cardiovascular problems. The higher a person’s pack-years (number of packs smoked per day times the number of years smoked) are, the greater the risk of death.
Smoking during obesity increase the risk of circulatory diseases. In smoking obese women the risk of circulatory disease increased 5-10 times as compared to never-smoking women with normal weight.
During last decades the obesity is becoming more dangerous for modern society. It is not because smoking has become less dangerous and obesity more dangerous, but is because during last decades the proportion of obesity has been increased and the proportion of smoking women is decreasing. At the same time, smoking during obesity is a double risk for women health. Medical studies show that smoking caused more deaths while obesity caused more illnesses in women.
Smoking during Obesity
In most cases smoking is responsible for several serious diseases, including heart disease, cancer, bronchitis, emphysema, aneurysms, strokes and cancers. And obesity in women could cause cancer, liver disease, type 2 diabetes, vein disease, gallbladder disease, breathing problems, arthritis, risky pregnancy and deep vein thrombosis. The combination of smoking and obesity in women could trigger all above mentioned diseases and could also cause the death from mentioned diseases.
It was noted that when looking at the combined effect of smoking and obesity on mortality, it became apparent that both have very similar negative effect on women health. But at the same time it was noted that:
- Normal weight + light smokers have the same risk of death as overweight + non-smokers;
- Normal weight + heavy smokers have approximately the same risk of death as obesity + non-smokers.
- In similar weight groups the heavy smoking women (>10 cigarettes per day) have more than double the mortality risk, while light smoking women (1-10 cigarettes per day).
Smoking during obesity – Quitting smoking
During last years few studies demonstrated correlation between smoking and body weight. It was noted that quitting smoking could be responsible for increased Body Mass Index (BMI).
It has been shown that cessation of smoking on average results in an increase of body weight of 3-5 kg in women. In addition, about 10-15% of women who quit smoking could gain in excess of 10-15kg.
So, what is more likely to kill you – smoking or obesity? The answer is very simple – both.
Smoking and excess weight/obesity are equally likely to kill you.
Obesity and smoking are both related to lifestyle and can be managed by modifying behavior and changing lifestyle habits. The only solution for smoking obese women is urgently implemented healthy lifestyle free of smoking and full of healthy food.
LifeSign QuitKey Smoking Cessation Computer
- Handheld computer helps you gradually quit smoking;
- Developed and proven effective with grants from the United States National Institute of Health;
- Improved algorithms make it easier than ever to kick the habit;
- Smaller than the competition, the QuitKey doubles as a keychain;
- Quit smoking in about a month with this gradual, step-down program.
NicoDerm CQ STEP 1 – 3 Week Kit – 21 Clear 21 mg Nicotine Patches
- Nicotine Transdermal System;
- 21 clear patches – 3 week kit;
- Smoke more than 10 cigarettes per day? Start with Step ONE;
- Clear NicoDerm with SmartControl Technology.
Kick Your Nic! Quit Smoking Forever in 7 Days – Guaranteed to Work or Your Money Back – All Natural – Kit Contains 4 Bottles Including 2 Fl Oz Spray
- Completely Eliminate All Cravings and Withdrawal Symptoms;
- Kick the Tobacco Habit In Just 7 Days, Guaranteed;
- No Expensive Drugs or Prescriptions; No Costly Gum or Patches;
- It’s Safe, All-Natural, Affordable and Easy to Use;
- 94% User Success Rate.
Nicorette Coated Gum 2mg, 100 pieces (Fresh Mint)
- Use this effective nicotine gum to on a regular schedule to prevent cravings throughout the day;
- Provides nicotine to your system as a temporary aid to help you quit smoking by reducing nicotine withdrawal symptoms;
- Includes free access to Committed Quitters, an online resource that can give you an individualized stop-smoking plan;
- Designed to allow your body to adjust to having less nicotine over a 12-week period through a gradual, step-down process;
- Start with at least 9 pieces of Nicorette a day.
Smoking during Obesity
“Quitting smoking is easy. I’ve done it a thousand times.” Mark Twain
Matched Related Content: